Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Saying the right thing.

I spent a few minutes with a co-worker tonight who has a drug problem. He's addicted to Meth and has just reached out to his family for support (which we all know is a very difficult thing to do).

Why is it that sometimes no matter how hard you try it's hard to remember just what to say to someone to offer support?

Another co-worker approached me as I was off to lunch to ask me if I could take his car and credit card to get gas in the car. I agreed. It was for the young man with the Meth problem. He apparently had trouble understanding why this co-worker would have me fill the car and not him as he was the one to borrow the car to move with.

He asked me on the way back from the gas station, "Do you think I'm dishonest?" My immediate response was "No, Not as far as I can tell." In retrospect I should have told him that it's not him that people will worry about but the effects or rather "lack of effect" when deprived of the drug. It's an insidious drug. Everything appears to be fine but I just watched another friend ruin his life over it. He ended up homeless with his son who is five.

When we got back, I shook his hand and told him that I really enjoyed working with him and we parted ways. I gave my co-worker my email addresses to give to the young man in hopes he'll lean on me a little. He's going to need all the friends he can get!

No comments: